Friday, March 21, 2014

Setting Realistic Goals

Being featured in a gallery within a month is not a realistic goal. Could it happen... absolutely, but the chances are slim.

I have been trying to set myself some realistic goals. Ones that will be fulfilled, hopefully in short amounts of time and aren't that far removed from the possibility of completion. Goals should not be monumental but tiny at first. If your initial goals are to hefty, you might not be able to bare the weight of the amount of work needed to reach it.

My first new goal was to establish a presence on social media. I already had some accounts but needed to brand them a bit and make them more coherent. I started by creating a Facebook fan page specific to my fine art works. I edited my profiles on other sites like Twitter and Google Plus to reflect this as well. This goal took less than a few hours to complete and gave me that overall sense of accomplishing something. A great boost if ever there was one.

My second goal had two parts. Create a blog to feature my works and to get my likes on Facebook as well as followers on G+ and Twitter to reach over 25 each. Like I said, small goals. This took about a week and again has given that feeling of getting something done. This is a great motivator for anyone. It helps to know that there are at least a few people out there that like the works I create. A few nice comments and all seems right in the world.

My third goal was a timely task. To keep this blog going for over a month... check and check. As of this post, I have been at this for exactly one month. This was far harder than I thought it would be. I have never been the best communicator, in written or spoken words. I also thought I wouldn't be able to find the subject matter to talk about. Did I indeed have enough to say without creating a blog that just wastes your time as well as my own time with useless trivia and quotes from others or could I actually find it in me to express my personal thoughts on the matter. This has been a great way to get some of my thoughts out and relieve a little stress in the process. Just writing about things has been a thrilling way to both entertain myself and free my thoughts for better things.

So what are your goals, in life, in business, or in your own works of art?
Have you set goals that were just too big to control?
Do you have any stories of goals set and reached?

I look forward to reading your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment